Saturday 10 March 2012

I like to watch all of the Cookery programmes on TV. I don't always feel compelled to immediately jump off my sofa and start rattling the pans but I like to make a mental note of things I would like to try whenever I get a minute.

I was watching "The fabulous Baker Brothers" on Channel 4 the other week and they made a Ploughmans Pasty which I thought sounded really yummy, a mental note was made and then nothing further. Well today, a month later, I found myself with a few minutes free and when I searched here I discovered that I actually had most of the the ingredients. I used:

  • 400g potatoes
  • 150g pickled onions
  • 200g mature cheddar, grated
  • 100g chutney
  • Good pinch of sea salt
  • 1 beaten egg

I cheated and used shop bought Pastry rather than make it from scratch, I am sure its easy enough to do but really lifes too short!


  1. Scrub, peel and boil the potatoes. Drain, cool then chop into medium sized chunks.

  2. Slice and fry the pickled onions in a bit of butter and olive oil until soft and brown. Season with some salt and pepper.

  3. Mix the potatoes, pickled onions, cheese, chutney, together in a bowl. Add the big pinch of sea salt and a generous grinding of pepper.

  4. When you're ready to cook the pies, preheat the oven to 220°C/gas mark 7. Divide the Pastry into 6 and roll each piece out to the thickness of a pound coin.

  5. Place 220g of the filling on the nearest half of each round and fold into semi-circle to encase the filling. Leave the underside with an overhang, then brush the edge with water and fold the overhang over to make a tight seal. Crimp the edges of the fold with fingertips.
  6. Place the pies on a baking sheet, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle some more smoked sea salt on top. Bake for 30 minutes until golden.


They have a book to accompany the series, I foresee it accidently falling into my cart on Amazon ;-)


1 comment:

  1. The receipe sounds yummy, would be nice for tea! Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comments, I love to read them :-)